Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Trials= Gold

"But he knows the way I take; when he has tested me, I will come forth as gold."
Job 23: 10

A couple of days ago I wrote about how I was memorizing two verses a month based on my Bible reading through the year. Since I started in December Job was on my list to read. Most everyone who has grown up in church knows the story of Job. Here's a brief refresher. One day Satan came to God and God asks him if he has considered his servant Job. God continues telling Satan that Job is upright, blameless and shuns evil. Satan responds to God by saying, "Of course he is you have blessed everything he has," (my paraphrase). So God offers Job over to Satan as long as he does not "lay a finger on the man himself,". Eventually Job has lost everything and even his friends and family are telling him to turn away from God. Job continually cries out to God and never turns away from him. Job even goes as far as saying "But he knows the way I take; when he as tested me I shall come forth as gold".  

Can you imagine losing everything you have? All your possessions, your home, your family,  your friends...EVERYTHING! It blows my mind to even consider thinking about it,  much less considering my emotions towards God if that did happen to me. I can hear myself now... Why me God? Where are you in this situation? Did you abandon me? What did I do to deserve this? Did you have to take everything? What's the point of serving you if I lose everything in return? Did I not do all as you asked of me? If I promise to do (fill in the blank) will you give me my family back? I can almost guarantee I would not have the capacity to look beyond my emotions and consider what God's plan might be in the heartbreak.

God knew where Job was during this trial. God was right beside him the entire time. God never looked away or lost track of the circumstances. Job professes to know that is true in this verse. What incredible faith! Job goes even father to say that he knows good will come of this, that he "shall come forth as gold." What a statement! How much do I need to remember that in the times of testing, discipline or hardship God has a plan for me and his plans are good! When God tests me it is to strip away anything that is hindering my relationship with him so that I may become gold! We should not fear hardships or a trial because it is one of God's ways of growing us.


Lord I pray that when a trial comes my way I will remember that you are always there with me. You know the way I take and when you are finished with me I shall come forth as gold!


1 comment:

  1. I love this verse (and I love my index card with it that some cool girl I know made for me)! So often during a difficult time I feel like God has left me, but those are the times when He is often closest, working deeply in my heart to make me more like Christ. It's a shame that I get caught up in feeling sorry for myself and miss Him at work.

    ReplyDelete