Monday, January 3, 2011

He Deserves so Much More

New Year’s Resolutions. I know it’s January 3, 2011, but I have not gotten around to posting about resolutions. You may or may not be a resolution person. You may start them at different points in the year or vow to never make them because you always break them (you didn’t know I was a rapper did you :)) You may call them promises, changes, or commitments, but I’m going to call mine a goal/commitment.



My goal/commitment for 2011 is to read the Bible through in a year and memorize two verses a month from those same readings. This is something I have tried to do on many occasions and failed. With this being the year of taking on failures and fears I decided to give it another go in Christ’s power and grace.



In previous years I would pick up my bible and begin reading on January 1 without giving much thought to it (I definitely avoided asking someone for accountability. Why would I need that? I am independent and strong. Hear me roar!). I would make it a month or so and then lose track of where I was because I was always behind. In my mind I would justify why I should move on to something else instead of keeping to my commitment. So much for commitment huh?



Recently in my time with the Lord I have been convicted of the lack of discipline in my life,  specifically in my relationship with him. What does it say to the lost world around me that I can’t even commitment to read the very words my savior wrote for me? How prideful am I that I can’t even seek out accountability for this step of growth in my life? How selfish am I to not hunger and thirst for the words he has given me? The creator of this world is worth so much more than this. His glory and renown deserve more attention than this. All of these questions and reflections led me to enter this season of reading with a different mindset. This year is about about him, his glory, and his name. Its an act of discipline and obedience through his power and grace working in my life. This is not about me doing something great, but God working through me and in me to make me more like him.



A wise old man (Hey Dad!) once taught me that all goals should be measurable, attainable (but not too easy), and time sensitive, so I made sure to make my goal in that way. I will read the bible through in a year using the Discipleship Journal’s plan. As I am reading I will pick two verses a month to memorize (1st from the reading on days 1-15, 2nd from days 16-25). I started in December 2010 when the Lord laid these goals on my heart. I hope to be able to share some of what he is teaching me through this journey with you. If you see me don’t hesitate to ask me how it is going or to quote to you my current scripture memory :)



What about you...do you have any resolutions, commitments, or goals for 2011?

No comments:

Post a Comment