Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Stir Crazy Snow Days

If you don't live in the Southeast (and you don't watch the news, read the news, or hear the news...we need to talk) you might be unaware that we had quite the snow/ice storm for our area over the past couple of days. I understand that our amount of snow/ice is nothing compared to just about anywhere else in the US, but for us it was a good bit. It was even enough to cancel school for not just 1 day, or  2 days, but 3 full days (who knows what will happen on Thursday).  Needless to say most of us, teachers and students, were pretty excited about our snow day on Monday. I am also sure the students were pumped for the snow day today and even more excited about the snow day tomorrow, but I (and many others) are becoming a little stir crazy! I can only do so many loads of laundry, read so many books, watch so much tv/movies, and be on facebook so long.

Recently I was talking texting with my fabulous friend Jessica about how stir crazy we were both becoming not being at school (we are both teachers). We were discussing all the things we had already done and what we were possibly going to find to do with our day tomorrow. As we were texting I was also reading her latest post on her blog "Single in love: My Year of Me"  ( You should all read her blog. You will love her!). As usual her post challenged me to think about my stir crazy snow days in a different light.

In her post Jessica writes about how last Wednesday the Lord answered her prayer for desiring him by giving her this overwhelming sense of joy and "head over heels giddiness" in her time with him. She mentions how she didn't want to have to go to school, not because of her "talkative or unmotivated students", but because she couldn't wait to spend more time with Jesus. And that my friends, is when it hit me.

Why am I not relishing the fact that I have extra time to spend with the Lord? I have been able to catch up on my Bible reading (hopefully getting ahead soon), finish the book Radical by: David Platt (posts to come soon on the impact it is having on my life),  and have extended non rushed time in the word and prayer. Looking back on it, its been FANTASTIC!

I have been desiring this extra time to eat up God's word and his revelations to me since school started and yet I was blinded by my boredom and lack of ability to travel to the blessing God had given me in snow.

Thank you Jesus for giving me friends like Jessica to remind me to look in the little things for your blessings to be found. Thank you for giving me this precious extra time to spend with you. Continue to open my eyes to the time wasted when I could be spending it with you. Thank you for reminding me in your gift of snow that in your scripture it says that I will be purified with hyssop and washed whiter than snow. ( Psalm 51:7)


PS. Be on the look out for a combo post between Jessica and I this Friday.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks! Although I do have to admit that I haven't been taking full advantage of my extra time either. Maybe that's why God gave us Snow Day 3.0!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is what I needed to hear this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let's make snow day # 3 count! Sleeping in is acceptable :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE IT! I needed to hear this as well! I do wish we lived closer to one another so it wouldn't be too "nerve racking" to organize, sew, bake, and watch movies together!
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete