Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Cruising in the Caribbean

My Fabulous Parents. Aren't they good looking!

My wonderful parents are on their first non-children trip lasting longer than 3 days in over 30 years. They have not been away for a week without us since their honeymoon. Mind you they have taken plenty of 3-4 trips here and there, but no trip long enough for them to melt their cares away. What's even more fantastic about this trip is that they are on a cruise and have absolutely no way to connect to anyone in the states (obviously unless it is an emergency). No phones, no email, no contact. I can guarantee you they are both loving it and hating it.

VBS
WOG
Young Married Bowling



My parents live to serve those around them. They both work at the church and everyone who works with them loves them. My dad is the minister to young married adults and the leader of the contemporary worship. My mom works in the children's ministry. She is lovingly known as Mama Dawn. Before being minister to young marrieds my dad was a college minister. To say that their schedules were jammed pack would be an understatement.

My mom and I are best friends. We talk 4-5 times a day through text, calls, and email. I see her at least two times a week. We talk about anything and everything, serious to silly. My mom is caring, loving, supportive, encouraging, funny, a rock, a servant, a hard worker, a fantastic cook, a loving wife, and most of all a woman after God's own heart. She will love you until it hurts her and do everything in her power to bring you closer to the Lord (even if that means some tough love on the way...she may be small, but she packs a punch with truth). If you have never heard my mother's testimony I encourage you to make time with her to hear it. She was raised in extremely difficult circumstances, but she grew to love and trust God with everything she has. She is truly an inspiration to me.
See what I mean...our joy of picture taking!

My dad and I are strangely similar, which makes our relationship interesting to watch. We both love each other very much and because we are incredibly similar it is sometimes difficult to understand how we show our love to each other. My dad is extremely hard working, dedicated to his ministry/wife/family, talented, driven, stubborn, independent, intelligent, encouraging, funny, giving and supportive. If my mom errs on the side of love, my dad errs on the side of truth. Its amazing how they balance each other out. When my dad puts his mind to something he is going to get it done with 110% effort. My dad has poured his life out serving college students and now young marrieds. He is a man after God's will for his life. He desires nothing more than to be following after God, leading others to do the same. My dad is my rock of truth and love in Christ.

My Beautiful Family

My brother and I couldn't be more blessed with our parents. We grew up in a home that desired the Lord's will. Even in times of financial difficultly I never saw my parents wavier. Even when giving up the job at Apple meant losing financial stability my parents trusted the Lord would provide. When my dad took the job in Columbia at Shandon I saw my mom rise to the occasion. She may not have liked it, but she was going to support her husband's decision. In the ups and downs of life my parents always sought after the Lord. My parents are quite the team. They are running after God with abandon and I couldn't be more excited as to where it will take them. I am blessed by their leadership and example! I hope to one day be like them!

Mom and Dad-

I hope that you are having a fabulous time! You deserve nothing less! I love you very much and can't wait to hear all about it! Don't worry about anything or anyone here! (Even though you have people checking in on us mom ha ha). We miss you, but are doing great!

Love you tons!

Kristin

PS. See what I mean...aren't they fantastic!!

2 comments:

  1. Very Sweet KFT!! You are right your mom is going to cry. Your dad may shed a tear too! :)

    ReplyDelete