Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Emptying the Pantry

A while back I can remember my brother and sister-in-law making a decision to not go to the grocery store until they had basically empited their pantry, fridge, and freezer. They realized that they were continuing to buy more food each week even though they had not eaten everything they bought the previous week and eventually these things piled up. I was impressed and sometimes shocked at the food combinations they came up with to empty their pantry, but it worked. This got them out of the habit of buying more than they needed or purchasing food on a whim.

 Over the past couple of months I have had more than my share of expenses including car insurance (first time to pay it on my new car), neighborhood fees, Harbison fees, and not to mention my lovely payment for a new tire (no texting, messing with ipods, or distracted driving for me anymore). Needless to say, my checking account is feeling the pain.

As I look at my bank statement (weekly, monthly etc.) all my money seems to go to food and bills. This could be food eaten out or food purchased at the grocery store (I do benefit from eating on campus with Josh a good bit though).I figured one of the quickest ways to save money on food would be to take the challenge of emptying the pantry. So starting this week I will be eating my way through whatever is in my house (Don't worry bible study friends, I won't be bringing a crazy salad. I am taking care of that. Also Megan B. we are still on for Saturday.) Then perhaps my next step could be couponing...




Maybe ill be a guest on the new TLC show Extreme Couponing! Yes there is a reality tv show on TLC now about couponing. What is this world coming to?


Here's to eating through the pantry...

1 comment:

  1. Way to go Turner! Here's to yummy pantry dinner and the love of couponing:)

    ReplyDelete